Formal Wear

Imagine you're walking around in a grocery store or at a mall. Everyone around you is wearing casual clothes, such as hoodies and t-shirts. All of a sudden, a person in slacks, a polo that looks like a dress shirt, and a tie walks by you. How would you feel about that person?



Normally, when I go out of my house to a store or the mall, for example, I always wear really formal clothes. Just going to the mall, I'm wearing slacks and a formal looking polo (sometimes a tie). I can't help but see all the other people my age who are wearing hoodies, shorts, etc. stare at me thinking, "Why is he dressed like that?!".



It's understandable when I'm speaking in public, though, because I need to look like a professional.



I don't know why I do this. Sometimes I want to wear a hoodie to "fit in" with other people, but by doing so I lose my chance to stand out of the crowd. Which is better, standing out or fitting in? Or does it not matter? I also think it's because I want to keep the old-fashioned and simple times of the 20th and 19th century alive... I always think to the old days of modesty and simplicity.



Do people who wear formal clothes in casual settings "bother" other people from interacting with them? Or does the person who is wearing formal clothes look too... intimidating (I can't think of the right word) that people avoid interacting with that person?





via Social Anxiety Forum http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f49/formal-wear-334209/

0 comments: